Official Party Document
The veracity of this document is ensured by the National Council and editing of this page is limited to members of the National Council.
- 1 Separation of powers
- 2 Members
- 3 National Council
- 4 Dispute Resolution Committee
- 5 State and Territory Coordinators
- 6 State and Territory Branches
- 7 Policy Development Officer
- 8 Other Officers
- 9 Directory
Separation of powers
The Party's Constitution divides governance of the Party between the members, the National Council, subordinate groups created by the National Council, and the Dispute Resolution Committee. The members are responsible for determining policies, amending the Party Constitution and electing Party officials. The National Council and subordinate groups make decisions relating to the daily affairs of the Party. The Dispute Resolution Committee is the last resort for resolving internal disputes and interpreting the Party Constitution.
Full members are entitled to be elected to all formal positions, stand as candidates, submit policy and constitutional amendment proposals, participate in policy and issue discussion and debate, join working groups and committees, and vote at meetings, National Congresses and policy formulation, development and adoption proceedings.
Permanent Resident membership
- Permanent resident members are entitled to all privileges of a full member, except they are unable to exercise any privileges which cannot be granted due to restrictions imposed by federal, state or territory legislation.
- A permanent resident member must provide evidence of their permanent residency status to be eligible for this membership type.
- Supporter members are entitled to the same privileges as full members, except they
- are ineligible for National Council and Dispute Resolution Committee positions, and
- may not lead any committee, and
- do not have voting rights, but have the ability to motion through the sponsorship of a full or permanent resident member, and
- are not eligible to stand as a candidate in any election the Party contests, and
- are unable to exercise any privileges which cannot be granted due to restrictions imposed by federal, state or territory legislation
- Supporter members are exempt from Article 4.1(1)(c) of the Party Constitution.
- All current associate members will be hereby considered supporter members.
- For all purposes, an international member is considered to be a supporter member, except they
- must reside at a non-Australian address, and
- are exempt from the requirements of Article 2.1(5) of the Party Constitution.
The Party is governed at a federal level by the National Council that makes decisions relating to the party's day-to-day operation. The National Council is responsible for organising the National Congress, funding campaigns, providing resources, making sure the Party complies with electoral laws and so on. The National Council consists of nine members which are directly elected at the National Congress by all eligible members: President, Secretary, Treasurer (and their three deputies), Registered Officer and two Councillors.
Dispute Resolution Committee
The Dispute Resolution Committee has two main functions: arbitrating serious disputes between members, and making rulings on how the Party Constitution is to be interpreted. The Dispute Resolution Committee may only become involved in a dispute if the members have been unable to resolve the dispute between themselves and appeals to the Deputy President have not resolved the dispute either. Although the Dispute Resolution Committee has very limited powers, the National Council must abide by its decisions, as must all subordinate party bodies, and the members themselves.
State and Territory Coordinators
State and Territory Coordinators are appointed by the National Council. Coordinators are a conduit between the National Council and the members of a state or territory, and have duties including organising monthly state or territory meetings, attending general meetings and National Council meetings online, and ultimately leading their state or territory towards becoming a formal, registered branch of Pirate Party Australia.
State and Territory Branches
Some states and territories will eventually evolve from having informal local gatherings to being able to form a registered branch. These are founded on a constitution of their own, but remain subordinate to the federal party, the National Council and the Dispute Resolution Committee. A branch will have its own State or Territory Council, which will take over the responsibility of the former State or Territory Coordinator.
Policy Development Officer
The Policy Development Officer leads the Policy Development Committee in preparing policy proposal for vote at a National Congress or similar meeting. The position is elected by the members at a National Congress, and answers directly to the National Council.
Other officers are appointed as necessary by the National Council.
|Enquiries||General enquiries about Pirate Party Australia||Email [email protected]|
|Media||Media enquiries (interviews, etc)||Email [email protected]|
|Membership||Checking and changing the status of your membership||Email [email protected]|
|Administrative||Party operations, requests, etc||Email [email protected]|
|Technical||Website, forum, wiki, mailing lists, etc||Email [email protected]|
|National Council (NC)||Email NC|
|President||Miles Whiticker||Email Miles|
|Deputy President||John August||Email John|
|Secretary||Alex Jago||Email Alex|
|Deputy Secretary||John Wilson||Email John|
|Treasurer||Mark Gibbons||Email Mark|
|Deputy Treasurer||Joe Furi||Email Joe|
|Councillor (1)||Daniel Oakley||Email Daniel|
|Councillor (2)||Andrew Downing||Email Andrew|
|Councillor (3)||David Read||Email David|
|Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC)||Email DRC|
|2018-2020||Liam Pomfret||Email Liam|
|2018-2020||Bryn Busai||Email Bryn|
|2017-2019||Fletcher Boyd||Email Fletcher|
|ACT||National Council||Email National Council|
|NSW||National Council||Email National Council|
|NT||National Council||Email National Council|
|Qld||Miles Whiticker||Email Miles|
|SA||National Council||Email National Council|
|Tas||National Council||Email National Council|
|Vic||National Council||Email National Council|
|WA||National Council||Email National Council|
|Designs Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|Inquiries Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|International Relations Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|IT Officers||Jack Coulter, Tom Randle, Fletcher Boyd||Email the IT Team|
|Policy Development Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|Press Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|Deputy Press Officer||Vacant||Email National Council|
|Public Officer||John August||Email John|
|Social Media Officer||David Read||Email David|